Thursday, September 15, 2011

Interview of Connor Jones US Army Engineer

1. What is your age?
27
2. Where do you live?
I live where my job takes me
3. What do you like to do outside of work?
I build scale models and shoot guns
4. What is your job title?
Military Civil Engineer
5. When and why did you choose your career path?
I chose to join the army out of high school, and from there I decided to join the corps of engineers
6. What is the name of your company or employer?
United States Army
7. Describe your primary duties and skills. [Cite your source(s)]
 Make a study on how airfields, buildings, roads and other military facilities are to be installed
 Make direct survey in places where the military facilities will be established
 Assist in getting contractors to build and execute the plans
 Supervise the project in such manners that it meets the criteria of the military including specifications
 Lead in planning for the facility maintenance and development
 Make plan for temporary facilities to be established during emergency situations
 Keep records of plans for easy references
8. Describe your physical work environment.
I work in areas all around the world from deserts to wooded areas
9. What is your favorite part of your job?
I enjoy being able to plan and design different structures and like to see my work being built
10. What is your salary? [Cite your source(s)]
$61,537 a year http://www.glassdoor.com/Salaries/civil-engineer-salary-SRCH_KO0,14.htm
11. Which accredited school did you first attend, and what was your degree? [Cite your source(s)]
I got started off in the army as a 21 Echo which is a combat engineer then wanted to get a better foot hold in my career so I work it out to where the army would pay for some more schooling so I could get a Bachelors then I got my masters and continued my work.
12. Describe in detail three of the courses that you took which are closely related to your current career. [Cite your source(s)]
I tool all of the engineering courses i could to help set me up for what i wanted to do. There was algebra trigonometry and calculus. With most math there is a lot of equations that are involved in figuring the problems out
13. Describe the two courses that you considered most challenging. [Cite your source(s) and include a course listing from the appropriate degree program]
In the army the engineering math and demolition courses were most difficult because you needed to figure out how much TNT you needed
14. What resources did your school have available to help you get through the most difficult courses? [Cite your source(s)]
They had some of the best qualified instructors in the United States
15. Regarding the two most challenging courses, how did you persevere?
Well with the Army and career that i chose there was no going back no quitting so the only way i could move was forward and i did.
16. From what school(s) did you receive graduate degrees? [Cite your source(s)]
If you want to get technical i have a bachelor’s degree in engineering with the Army. They trained me and they schooled me.
17. What was the title or titles of the degree(s)? [Cite your source(s)]
The title of my degree is a historical horizontal construction engineer
18. What licenses do you have and what were the exams required to receive those licenses? [Cite your source(s)]
In the military there is a license for every vehicle and there is a number of ways to obtain them. One way is to take the course for each and every vehicle and or you go to an instructor course area.
19. How would your clients and co-workers describe you?
They would describe me as a professional, hard worker and dedicated soldier I do it for the men that are doing the hard fighting and so I can make them just a little safer.
20. What do you hope to accomplish at the conclusion of your career?
One day I hope to maybe start my own construction business and when my country doesn’t need me anymore and there is no more wars to fight I’ll go home.
21. Why should a high school student consider a career in your field? What important contribution(s) can they make?
The good thing about the army is that they will recruit anyone that wants a part to help, regardless of race, gender, size, and as long as your over the age of 18 and can walk then you can make a life in the military. The military engineering field has helped in so many ways and every day there is a new way.
Conclusion
1. You described a career related to civil engineering and/or architecture. Is this the career field that you are currently most interested in at this stage in your life?
When I decide to get out of the military I’d like to start my own civil engineering ferm and help people outside of the military lines.
2. Rank and describe the three most important characteristics that you value in choosing a post-secondary school.
The army trains its people well and I’m glad that I got the time to do something I wanted to do
3. Rank the following in the order of importance to you regarding a career: job satisfaction; salary; making a difference; level of responsibility; titles; benefits; hours; co-workers; supervisors. How will a career in civil engineering or architecture satisfy the factor that you ranked highest?
 Satisfaction would be about 4 out of 5 because I get to build things but I’m in a war zone normally. Salary could be more but when I get out I could make a lot more. When we go into towns in other countries people need help and we can help make a difference. My responsibility is quite high I have to make sure that all codes are up to standards and the buildings meet those standards. I get to have many titles and the benefits aren’t that bad if I stay with the army I get a pension and I get health care taken care of. Hours are like any one else’s and most of my co-workers are some of the best qualified to be doing this work. All of these will be satisfied if you work hard at your job.

No comments:

Post a Comment